Re: [TCML] microbrute DRSSTC

On 1/1/2013 2:53 PM, Joe Mastroianni wrote:
Hi Alton,
Ok, well, then it if all that is ok then it sounds like you may need to work on the tuning.  You will need to wind or unwind the primary coil wire to see if when you get a breakout arc.  What I do is I turn up the variac slowly.  If the coil is tuned, by the time you get to 25V output on the variac you'll see at least a little breakout on your breakout point.   Pay attention to the sound of the arc.  If it "sputters" (you'll know it when you hear it) you are not tuned correctly.  That sputtering sound is badness.  If you don't correct it you will eventually blow up the IGBTs, so keep the voltage low until you correct it by tweaking the tuning.

What I wound up doing was to wind or unwind the primary helix by 1/4 turn increments, using heavy tape to secure the primary coil wire in each position.  Other than using an oscilloscope and signal generator there's really no great way to check the tuning other than turning up the Variac moderately and listening for breakout.  If you don't get a breakout arc, then turn off the power, adjust the coil by 1/4 a turn, and try again.  Once you do see a breakout arc you might have to wind as much as another 1/2 or 1/4 a turn in or out to get it right.  It's a trial and error process that takes some time.

The other possibility is that you need to reverse the way the primary wire is going through the current sense transformer on the board.  That is, if you have the wire threaded from the direction of the center of the board, through the CT, to the outer board edge, you may have to take the wire out of the CT, and then put it through from the outer board edge inward toward the center of the board.  Nothing is going to work if the current sense direction is reversed.  Unfortunately, it's hard to tell apriori which way is going to be best (it depends on which direction you wound your coils), but it's easy to switch.  But it's a digital thing - it will either work or not. There's no "almost" with that, like there is with tuning.

Happy new year and hope you get it working.

Cheers,
Joe