[Home][2013 Index] [TCML] A few words about passwords on TCML [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] A few words about passwords on TCML

Greetings all,

As you may have noticed, the list software that is running the TCML
mails you your password on a monthly basis.  It is able to do so because
it stores the passwords in plain text, a rather large security hole.

During the installation of a wiki on the pupman.com web site, I was able to configure it so that you can use the same TCML password that is
mailed out to you as a login.  (See my next email for details)
In the course of setting this up I was able to see that some passwords
were not random characters but actual words.

As it says on the list information page,
http://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla,

"You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild
security, but should prevent others from messing with your subscription.
Do not use a valuable password as it will occasionally be emailed back
to you in cleartext."

In short, do NOT re-use one of your "good" passwords as a password for
this list.  Pick a new or unique one for the list and hang on to one
montly reminder if you forget.

While I do what I can to keep the system secure, it *IS* on the internet
and systems do get cracked.

taken to your subscription management page and there you can change your
password.

Thanks for your attention.

Chip Atkinson TCML List owner.