[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] DC powered coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] DC powered coil

Mike
    Nice to hear from you...

You get HF AC, but it isn't interrupted by the mains frequency (assuming you have a decent amount of smoothing).

It will of course be interrupted by the spark gap either rotary or static. In the case of a rotary gap that will introduce an audio tone depending on the speed and number of gaps. There may be another frequency introduced by the DC supply taking time to charge your primary cap, then a discharge via your spark gap too.

All these factors will make it sound different at audio frequencies from an AC coil, the result is the same though, busts of HF into your coil and out as (hopefully) sparks.

    Derek