[Home][2013 Index] Re: [TCML] The problem with cheap MOTs [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] The problem with cheap MOTs

> I learned valuable lesson after an email from David this week... stay away
> from cheap MOTs because the winding is aluminium and difficult to work
> with.

<snip>

And that ain't all - watch out for aluminum jumper cables!

I purchased a nice set of cables to cut in half to use to connect to a 3 KW
12 volt to 120 volt inverter. I could NOT solder the wires no matter what I
did. investigation revealed the wires were made from a zillion strands of
nicely copper plated aluminum wire. Grrr!! I had to resort to a big crimp
connector.

In defense of the manufacturer/importer/shyster, I will say that nowhere on
the package did it say that the cables were made with copper - even though
the photo on the front of the package showed bright copper colored wires
connected to the clamps.  It's a good thing I bought cables that were a
couple of sizes larger than I required. Considering the additional
resistance of the aluminum vs. copper, they turned out to be just large
enough to do the job.

Best DX & 73,

Ralph  W5JGV - WD2XSH/7