From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Greg Peters
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 4:31 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Alternative RSG Motor and shielding

Hi All,

I am in the process of building an ARSG for my new DC coil. I have already
had an FR4 12" disc CNC machined and will be using 10mm flying electrodes.
It's looking good!

I was originally going to use a DC or universal motor but was able to
obtain a 1HP 3-Phase motor with a single phase to 3 phase inverter for less
than half the price.

Essentially the inverter allows me to run the 3 phase motor from a single
phase with variable speed control from 0 to 6000RPM. It works very nicely.

Anyway, I suddenly have concerns that I might have trouble getting this
arrangement to work in the vicinity of the TC due to RFI.

I was thinking that if I run the inverter in a shielded box, ground the
motor housing, use shielded cable to the motor and an EMI filter on the
inverter supply then I should be OK. Does anyone have any thoughts on this,
before I go spending money on getting a coupling machined to mate the disc
to the motor? If it's a lost cause I will just find a new type of motor,
but I think I should be able to get it to work.

If it does work, it's actually a very nice setup. The motor is industrial
with a cast housing, big bearings, solid mounting and a thick 19mm shaft
with keyway. The inverter allows full speed control and even reversing with
the twist of a knob!

Anyone tried using such a motor and inverter setup?

Advice is appreciated!

Greg.