Re: [TCML] toroids instead of spheres - why?

On 8/22/13 5:13 AM, Jason wrote:
While we are talking about toroids and spheres,

Whats the best way to work out size? and is there a way to only get the
break out at one point with a traditional spark gap coil? I am using a
break out point but still getting a dozen or so break outs

If you're getting lots of breakouts, either your breakout point isn't "definitive enough" or your topload is too small.

If the topload is too small, it charges up to too high a voltage too quickly for the one spark you want to develop and start sucking the energy out of the topload.

If your breakout point is too small, then it doesn't provide a definitive path (I've had this happen using something like a thumbtack as a breakout point.. it's just too small to be a dominant thing).

What are you using as a breakout point?
How big is your toroid?

Something you can try is to increase the C of your topload quickly. Throw another toroid or a foil covered beachball on top. You'll need to retune the primary for the lower frequency. But it's easy to make a "test toroid" that is a bit smaller than your existing one, and which you can just set on top.

or something like a plastic 5 gallon bucket, covered in foil, with a toroid on top, that you set on top of your existing toroid (so you have two toroids with a fat cylinder in between).

The idea here is to increase the Topload C, which reduces the rate at which the voltage builds up (lower resonant frequency).