Re: [TCML] Black polyethylene pipe ok for secondary?

Agreed. That was one thing I was afraid of. I have seen a black poly pipe secondary fail in Tesla Coil duty but that was a coil producing over 3x the winding length so I figured it might have happened with any form. I'm cautious enough to avoid it altogether though I suspect it can't be any worse than cardboard!

On another note, I was thinking that filling the inside of the secondary with expanding polyurethane foam (cheap, comes in a spray can) might be a good way to prevent internal arcing and may allow us to make ground terminals with a bolt through the form. I find making the ground and toroid terminal the hardest part of secondary construction. It would be nice if we could just use a nice solid bolt through the side! Surely filling the form with polyurethane foam would make the inside of the form less conductive than the outside, in which case the coil could always be expected to fail externally first right?! Any thoughts?

Sent from my phone