Re: [TCML] Anybody have experience with an instrument voltage transformer?

JJ,

An instrument transformer, also called a potential transformer is the next
best thing after the pole pig. It has very robust insulation, doesn't need
a protection filter and will handle way more power than the spec sheet
would let you believe.

If it's used as intended in monitoring the HV grid, the measurement needs
to have a certain acuracy, Rated Secondary Voltage Class, were a maximum
load is dictated.

But as we use them the other way around, this is not of our concern.
http://www.ritz-international.com/fileadmin/pictures/cms/pdf/produktblaetter/e/VZS.pdfIn
the spec theet, the most useable value is the Thermal Limit Current,
valid for 24/7 operation. It's not stated in this sheet, but the
manufacturer gives very conservative over-load currents. 1,5 times thermal
limit for 30 min. and 3 times thermal limit for 6 minuted.

Which would give 12A for yours. You can take it from me, it'll handle 24A @
120V just as well. Just allow for it to cool down after a run, since the
epoxy does insulate heat also.

One last remark, PT's are not current limited, so you'll need an additional
ballast. There's lots of info to be found in the archives.

Regards,
Mark