Re: [TCML] Brighten My Arc on my Tesla Coil

If you look at the youtube, it looks like the primary turns are touching in a couple of places. Can't tell for sure, but they look pretty close.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Branley
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 4:13 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Brighten My Arc on my Tesla Coil

How can you tell?  Thx.  Jim.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 18, 2013, at 8:26 PM, "Carl Noggle" <cn@xxxxx> wrote:

Hey---

It looks as if you may have a shorted turn on your primary. Make sure you have good spacing on all primary turns. A shorted turn will eat up power.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: Scott Bogard
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:59 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List

Hi Jim,
  I haven't watched your video yet as I am at work, but I can tell you
from a given coil the only way to make brighter sparks is to process more
power in the arc.  If you don't want to go with a bigger transformer, you
can increase the power in the arc by increasing the break rate by using a
smaller capacitor (and ideally a high break rate rotary spark gap.)  Aside
from going solid state or making serious gap efficiency improvements that
is the only way to increase brightness I know of...

Scott Bogard.