Re: [TCML] Re: Toroid

 Did you post photos of the coil?  Also what type of spark gap are
you using?  What do you think the break-rate is?

If you're not using a step up type variac to supply 140V or so to
the NST's that will reduce the output of the coil compared to
140V operation.  So many folks apply 140V to NSTs for their
TC's that it has become almost the standard modus operandi.

I'm not suggesting that you use 140V (if you're not already),
I'm just saying that shorter sparks should be expected using 120V.

Also consider that running an NST on 140V will often cause the
NST to output more than it's rated power output.

Nevertheless I'd expect a coil of that power to produce at least 50" sparks.
There must be something limiting the output.  Often the spark
gap is the culprit.  If you're using a rotary, and if the electrode
spacing is too wide (the gap), that can limit the output, and is
bad for the NST too.

As reference, my TT-42 coil using a single robust 12/30 NST produces 42" sparks
from a 4" x 13" spun aluminum toroid (no breakout point).

       http://futuret.110mb.com/futuret/page1.htm

Cheers,
John