[TCML] Magnetic saturation

Dear List,
I'd like to hear some opinions on "magnetic saturation" only it does seem similar in some ways to dielectric breakdown  even if only  in that it is voltage related phenomena.

Has anyone used a saturating reactor in place of a spark gap? Is it possible?

What actually happens when the inductor saturates? Doos the voltage across the inductor continue to rise albeit at a slower rate like a zener diode  or does it even fall, analogous to negative resistance of an avalanching spark gap or a neon lamp?

and while we are talking about it what about ther case of a gyrator- a circuit using a capacitor and an active element that mimics th behavior of an inductor.  how about using a a thyristor as the active element to simulate saturation?

JF Cox