Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 5:17 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Using tree as RF ground

I finally gave up on the tree idea.  I still think it would make a
great counterpoise (think of all of those radial tree roots) but
without any experience to back it up I'm concerned about the health
of the tree.  I've run some fairly large coils (>10kw) at the other
house out on the driveway and when power arcs connected to the tips
of tree limbs, the part stuck would die back about 4 or 5 feet from
the ends. I suspect that this was the result of localized heating. I
ended up driving the ground rod horizontally into a hillside next to
the garage.  I could tell that I pierced several tree roots along the
way, so the tree is still somewhat in the equation, but at least it's
not the sole current path to ground.
It occurred to me, as I was pounding the ground rod, that another
simple solution might be to connect to the rebar in the
driveway.  That's a lot of metal directly under the coil.
Dave