[TCML] Insulating a MOT

I have a single MOT in use as a (moderately) high voltage source. It's working fine, but at high voltages I get arcing between the primary and the grounded core. It doesn't seem to be damaging anything, but I'd like to stop it. Layers of black electrical tape had no effect, and I don't want to dunk the whole thing in oil.

I was thinking if some kind of applied insulation, like liquid tool-dip rubber or the asphalt-rubber spray on undercoating sold for cars and as a stop-leak. Would these be a waste of time, you think, or even a fire hazard? Any ideas how to insulate a standing MOT without using oil?

Paul