Re: [TCML] Re-visited - Newbie question - Where does all the energy go?

Black scorch marks are usually what you get with a short, sometimes
fire as well

----- Original Message -----
Sent:Fri, 25 May 2012 09:44:25 +0800
Subject:[TCML] Re-visited - Newbie question - Where does all the
energy go?

 I refer to my problem as described in
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2012/Apr/msg00135.html.

 I followed the recommendations by various posters,

 - I re-built the spark gap, same result.
 - I made various new capacitors, same result.
 - I added a second 12 KV 30 ma NST in parallel, same result.
 - I re-wired all connections with 10 gauge, same result.

 The only part left untouched now is the secondary coil. Is it
possible that there is a short circuited winding? Would that be
 consistent with the problems I experience?

 How would I find the location of the short? I inspected it visually
but can't find anything odd. What would I look for? would it get
 warm at the fault after prolonged running?

 Thanks for any assistance.

 Peter