[TCML] tesla coil at Intel International Science and Engineering Fair

Just finished judging this year's fair.

So it looks like there was only one TC at the ISEF this year, at least in the Engineering category. I took a quick glance through the rest of the fair, but didn't see any others.. at least not in Physics or similar areas. There could have been a TC lurking in biochemistry or medicine or something.

The entrant cited the pupman safety sheet, but I didn't judge the project so I don't know what other TCML resources, if any, he drew on, or if he's even on the list. (if you are... good job getting to the fair!) Nor do I recall his name, and all our notes and stuff get shredded anyway, but it's probably online.

It was a study of performance vs gap design. Not a bad approach to a TC project (and better than some I've seen). It's hard to get a TC into a science fair, because too many of the projects are "build a TC" and that's been done to death.

A SSTC, especially if not pushing the TC aspect, but more the high power driver part: that would get the attention of the judges, if done well, and it would probably make it past the "screening committee" at the local fair.

jim