From: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:01:48 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Secondary coil strikes

Carl, I was in belief of the same you're talking in 1999, and installed such
copper corona turns (not rings!) on my 8" Twin sec's, in order to avoid
corona at the top of the secondary, somehow following Bill Wysock. However
with unsuccessful result. For construction see:

http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/tc8inch.htm
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/corona_wdg.jpg

OK, one may see, the gap to be too wide, and having
no real radius at the edges; a beginner's mistake, perhaps.

At the edges of the ring-gap I was getting breakout of "streamers" to the
air, not so welcome :-( I closed the corona turn to a ring, and had no more
problem, neither with corona nor breakout, and most important: no
diminishment in performance. To me is clear: You are right in principle. But
having a shorted ring at the top (where currents are quite small), and on
the low end of the sec., where the primary is close (with huge currents),
are different worlds. Have not seen later, any toroid, able to suppress
corona at the top of the sec, and diminishing performance. I don't care
since about "shorted turns" at the top since, if they are a little up from
the sec-top turn (say 0.5-1" or so).

Just my 2 cents.

Kurt