Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] ANOTHER ONE DOWN, ANOTHER 37667 BITES THE DUST

Re caps for big coils

The 942C series CDE 2kv 0.15uF cap is the one with all the publicity largely due early geek group support for bulk buys and lots have been successfully used. IMHO in bigger arrays (often at lower resonant frequencies) the CDE 942C series 0.33uF 1.6kV option is more economic. This cap has better Ipk capabilities and is otherwise similar in spec. For bigger arrays the much bigger capacitance is more than offset by the small extra numbers in series required to make the voltage rating.

I've used these CDE 942C type 0.33uF 1600 volts in a 15 in series and 4 of these strings in parallel (88nF) at 10kVA between 40 and 90 kHz without problems in relatively short runs (< 2min) See also Robin Copini in Adelaide Aussie who made a big array of these caps, sadly Robin's WEB pages appear to no longer be available but there is lots about his activities in the list archives.

see data at http://www.cde.com/catalogs/942C.pdf

Rgds
Ted in NZ