Re: [TCML] tcs as musical instruments...

Jim, all

I almost choked on my porridge this morning as I read this mail of yours,
and my first thought was: "Where have you been these last 8 years?"

The idea of using a DRSSTC as a musical instrument was originally mine,
as you ought to know, and I presented it to Steve Conner at breakfast at
the Derby Teslathon back in 1994. He liked the idea, and modified a
Roland synth. so that it would act as a combined MIDI interpreter and TC
controller for all 6 channels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Jjsv2zr-c [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Jjsv2zr-c]
I went on to create 6 identical DRSSTC's and the rest is history.

This was a time where both Daniel MCauley and Stephen Ward went public
with comments like "We don't think there will be any interest in the
harsh sound from a pulsed TC"

Meanwhile, the Bach video was recorded, with a cheap snapshot digital
camera, so although the microphones clipped, and the echo in the
industrial hall was total, the sound was awesome.
Here you have _real_ 6 note polyphony, 1995 style, never done before or,
for that matter, by anyone after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOXygoQkXsQ [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOXygoQkXsQ]

You brushed up on the lack of volume at low frequencies, here is Thumper
@68Hz. the key to volume lies in input voltage, a parameter it should not
be too hard to controll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-FAdM_5E-s [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-FAdM_5E-s]

Different voices are easy to produce, just sit down with the synth and
press the different instruments, some good some awfull, I particularly
like the stuff from 0:58 to 1:19 and forward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrtu4uolTVc [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrtu4uolTVc]

Simple pulse trains can produce interesting sounds like this V-Twin
revving up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0scx1WD3sU [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0scx1WD3sU]

And the sound of a MIDI saxophone is also interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiKSPtwTVc [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANiKSPtwTVc]

So you see, pulse trains, envelope curves controlling the ON-Time and
input voltage controll for macro volume changes, It's all been done, and
is just waiting for some young whizzkid to perfect.

Cheers, Finn Hammer still lurkin'