Re: [TCML] Airforce Test Facility Story

Golka went beyond the TC and got a bank iof big submarine storage cells, probably at least a couple of AH each. Shorting those sure did create fireballs and beads of red hot copper bouncing around and there are movies of that on the web somewhere.

Carl Noggle wrote:

There was a dude named Robert Golka who came through Tucson in the 70s trying to promote funds to build a replica of Tesla's Colorado Springs coil, ostensibly to study ball lightning for the purpose of hydrogen fusion confinement. (?) He talked to us in the U of A lightning research group. He said that Tesla noted features of his big discharges that were like ball lightning. I read Tesla's descriptions and it didn't sound to me that he was describing anything like BL. Being dirt-poor researchers, we were merely able to give him our good wishes and he went on his way. We heard later that he eventually was able to persuade the Air Force to back him and did build his replica at Wendover.

A Google search came up with this video--

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-q1ndHIajs

which shows his coil in operation. It's pretty cool, but it's not clear from the video that they are doing anything but throwing cool sparks around. This, of course, is a good thing in itself. If a big top load were added it would possibly have enough capacitance to generate a pretty high current discharge, but the way it's being used in the video it doesn't betray a huge knowledge of pulse power, to me at least.

Does anyone know about the present state of this coil?

---Carl