Re: [TCML] EM fields safety standard available for free, now

On 3/5/12 4:27 PM, Ed Phillips wrote:
I haven't tried to read the standard yet but wonder if it gives
allowable exposure as a function of time.

yes it does. For the most part, the adverse effects are thermal in origin, so there is a 6 minute or 30 minute averaging period.

 The effects of high magnetic
fields at TC frequencies consist almost completely of local heating and
are probably completely trivial with the lengths of time anyone would
likely be exposed. Because of the conductivity of the body I'd think the
effects of electric fields would be even less.

yes, but...

When I was doing calculations for a large "show coil", in a cage, with people in the immediate vicinity, the averaged levels were fairly high (not close to the MPE, but still remarkably high).

Consider this.. if you're putting 20kW average power into a big Q=10 primary, and ignore the secondary loading effects, the stored energy is on the order of 200 kVAR. If your body absorbs any significant fraction of that power..

The MPE is around 0.4W/kg, so for a 100kg subject, if you're absorbing 40W, you're at the limit.

And in any case, the average effect is exactly the same as if you were not pulsed and were non resonant, and just had a big electromagnet dissipating 20kW. if 0.2% if that couples into you..

Ed