Re: [TCML] ELECTROMETERS

Hi Kurt,

I am very familiar with making electrets.  I have made several, more
typically in the form of a capacitor using polycarbonate as a dielectric.  I
place the capacitor in an oven, and raise the temperature to the glass
transition temperature, then putting a potential across the dielectric while
letting the capacitor slowly cool.  Electrets work either by charge trapping
(monopolar) or by bending of polar molecules (bipolar), or both.  I believe
I recall that charge trapping is generally considered less stable of the two
mechanisms.  Most technicians I have talked to are familiar with this
effect, and are leery of filter capacitors that do not have shunts in place.

But I digress.

Yes, most likely it is due to "coronal rectification," or something like it.
I find it interesting that often when I operate a coil, initially there are
several strikes to the ground rail.  After a few minutes, however the number
and frequency of the strikes diminish.  I assume that this is some sort of
electrostatic effect.  Perhaps this is when the parasitic charge is building
up in the dielectric. Undoubtedly, this is due to "coronal rectification."

Has anyone had this effect of static build-up on the surface of the coil
when operating the coil indoors?

I suppose that an Earth potential effect is wishful thinking on my part.  I
recall reading that the ionosphere has about one Terawatt of power
available, and that there is about one hundred Volts per meter potential
difference as a result of the selective filtering of the Earths magnetic
field.  It is a good thing that air is a good dielectric, give 100V/m I
would be in trouble if the contrary were true.  On the other hand, if you
could tap into the Earth's ionosphere, a Terawatt of power would be yours,
albeit extremely high potential.

Best wishes,

Mike