Re: [TCML] Magnet wire voltage ratings

In the 80s I worked at a plant that built integrated flyback transformers for TVs. The secondaries were wound with #39 wire (about half the diameter of a Higgs boson) with 4 builds of polyurethane and one of nylon. We tested the insulation by making a twisted pair of wires 5 feet long. It had to withstand 5kV for one minute. I was constantly amazed that it always passed.

For better turn-to-turn insulation I have always (well, two secondaries) wound the wire bifilar with a similar diameter nylon monofilament. This is a lot easier than it sounds. Feed the wire and nylon off the end of the spool--they are built for this and all coil-winding machines do it this way, since there is no inertia or momentum of the roll. Guide it into place with a finger pressure. We wound two 30" x 12 " dia coils in 20 minutes each. Also reduces turn-to-turn capacitance. Let me know if anybody wants more information.

Have fun---

Carl

Really quick question list, does anyone know the average voltage standoff
of single build magnet wire?  100V?  1,000V? 10,000V?  I've really no clue
but suspect it would be in the 600-1000V range...  Also does double and
triple build insulation make much of a difference?  Again toying with
designing a flyback transformer, and just trying to figure things out...
Thanks!

Scott Bogard.