Re: [TCML] induction cooktop as TC primary?

On 7/4/12 9:40 AM, David Sharpe wrote:
Hi Jim

I've not seen an actual schematic, however the typical topologies used are
either a derivative of a Half Bridge (cheap, low cost, up to 2-3kVA output
with 240VAC in), or quasi resonant (one switch, but complex controls).
Typical resonant frequencies are 25-100Khz, but could be changed I'd
think easily by changing value of resonant capacitor.

Tank voltage is monitored, if V exceeds some value (no load, high Q),
gating is disabled.  Would be an interesting low cost SSTC  / DRSSTC
experiment.

that's sort of what I was thinking.. nice flat pancake coil, wound of Litz wire, kilowatt driver, etc.

OBTW, at last RV Rally wife and I attended, there was a single
burner induction heating "hot plate" being offered for sale from several
vendors, that IIRC was $129.

Yeah.. that's probably the brother of the Aroma brand one sold by Target for $70...