Re: [TCML] litz wire

Hello gentlemen,
Your discussion on litz wire braid reminds me of a toy my sisters and I had as children that should make fabrication of any length of litz braid possible. It looks like a wooden handle with a hole lengthwise through the center.On the top were six or eight finish nails arranged around the hole. The braid was accomplished by wrapping the wire,yarn, string,or whatever the case may be around the circle of nails twice and hooking the wire underneath,pulling it over the upper wind of every other nail repeating this so as to pull the braid out thru the bottom end. Seems like that strategy should work well.If anyone out there decides to try it let me know how it works out for you. Hope this proves useful ... Binny...

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Lux
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 10:35 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] litz wire

Starting a new thread here..

How you wind litz wire without braiding.  one way is to twist clumps
that are themselves twisted.  Consider taking 4 wires and twisting them.
 Then take 4 clumps and twist those.  Each wire will spend the same
distance on the outside of the clump.

It gets tricky, though.. if you use 6 or 7 wires, then one inevitably
winds up in the middle and stays there, so you an use a core to wrap
around.  Or, stick with quads.

The problem is, I think, that you can't continue this strategy.  That
is, the 4 of 4 scheme can't be extended, can it?