Re: [TCML] Smoke Detector Issues / Faraday cage

A microwave oven doesn't try to be a Faraday cage.  The first
generation of ovens did so, but the difficulty of maintaining a good
connection all the way around the door seal over many years of use,
grease buildup etc meant that they frequently leaked a lot more than
desired.  Subsequent designs have used a 1/4 wave choke with a 3cm gap
at the door which results in an effective short at 2.4GHz and is quite
efficient at preventing much power from being leaked.  It doesn't do
much at other frequencies.

Ref: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3956608.pdf