Re: [TCML] Smoke Detector Issues

> The "ionized air" scenario doesn't explain how the coil is triggering
> smoke detectors in adjacent townhomes.
     Just so.  but stray emf/rfi/electronic noise will do just
     fine to triger them, even thru whood/plaster walls.

     best
      dwp

>> If it is a smoke detector that looks for ionised particles, Tesla
>> coils will set them off..  Its does exactly what it should when
>> presented with a large TC generated cloud of ionised particles.

      detecting the ions means higain amplifies, which are
      annoyed by RF Noise (as above).

>> I haven't found a cure for this other than wrapping them in tin foil
>> whilst the coil is in use. Of course the tin foil could be protecting
>> the electronics from EMF.. All I can say is it works.
      I go with cause B.

> >> I have been having a problem with my smoke detectors going off
> >> every time I run my SGTC or VTTC.  I am assuming it is EMI/RFI
>>> that is causing it.
     Certainly possible.  (I used to do EMI/RFI for a living...)

>>>  It would not be so bad, except that I live in a townhome and
>>> it tends to set the smoke detectors off at my neighbors place
>>> as well.
     as above: emi/rfi

>>>  Has anyone ever dealt with this before?  Anyone have any clue
>>> what I could do to prevent it?
      pull batteries, coil in Faraday cage, etc.

> >> I wouldn't want to have to chose between moving and coiling!
     Some hobbies are 'special'.  eg: pyrotechnics, etc.

> > What are your sparks arcing to, and what is the return path for the
> > current to the coil?  You might be inadvertently setting up a good
> > "transmitter" with a big loop.

> > What I would NOT do is try to engage in a EMI filtering campaign
> > with the detectors.   You might, though want to see if you can get
> > one of the detectors (same brand and model) and hook it up as a test
> > fixture.

> > You want to know whether the EMI is getting into the detectors via
> > conduction (e.g. power lines from your coil) or radiation (the power
> > lines for the detectors are acting as antennas).
      Usual deteector runs off batteries...

> > if it's the former, then adding filtering on your power supply might
> > help.

> > If it's the latter, making sure you're not radiating (return path
> > for sparks, etc.  Maybe a faraday cage, but I'm not sure that is
> > practical or will work well in your situation.
      agreed.

   best
    dwp