[TCML] Re: Toroids corrugated vs smooth

I have never used a smooth toroid. It has usually been some cheap plastic ducting or chicken wire with pointy breakouts everywhere. At best (smoothest) I used conductive tape on a tractor tube. I don't think it makes a significant difference provided power is well above what would break out at that curvature. I have achieved sparks 3 x secondary length with a spark gap coil. A smooth toroid is essential for avoiding sparks from a low powered coil - but who want that? In fact I suspect my best results have been with a rough toroid and a single small breakout point. Certainly easier to photograph lengths of sparks like this. So realistically, is a smooth toroid anything other than cosmetics for a reasonably powered coil?

Peter
www.tesladownunder.com