 From: Paul Nicholson <tcml88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Voltage Question

Charlie wrote:
> I've had some issues trying to calculate the voltage of
> the top terminal ...

You could calibrate your E-field probe by putting a known AC
voltage (at or near the coil's operating frequency) onto the
topload - a low enough voltage to measure directly but large
enough to be seen on your E-field probe.  One way to do this
is to put a signal generator into the base of the secondary,
enough to create a hundred or so volts at the top.

> The only way I've been able to estimate it is to slowly
> turn the input voltage up until streamers form at the top
> (then I know the top terminal voltage is near 30kV - since
> that is the breakdown voltage in air, again this still
> assumes a gap of 1cm and the top terminal is with respect
> to ground so the voltage may be much higher than 30kV).

This isn't a reliable method and you give the reason. Breakout
begins at around 26kV/cm surface field strength but the
potential of the topload is probably a lot higher.

--
Paul Nicholson