Re: [TCML] Variac Phase Shifting Info please

Hi Paul,

Yes I think I use about 3 or 4uF for the phase-shift cap on those motors if
I remember correctly.  And the variac can be very small too.  I'd probably
install the variac on the 120 volt line, not on the 240 volt section.  Once
you have your 120 volts, then you can just arrange everything else as shown
in the schematic.  Note that the variac is wired very differently than in
normal usage as a variac.  For the phase shifter, it's used as a variable
series inductor.  Be sure to keep the original motor-run cap connected to
the motor also.  So with the phase-shift cap and the motor run cap, there
will be two caps in the assembly.

       http://futuret.110mb.com/

Cheers,
John