Re: [TCML] how much does secondary diameter affect efficiency?

Yes, 26awg is probably good.  You probably want about 1300 turns
on the coil (1000 to 1500 turns)  You could make the coil winding
25" long probably and still get enough coupling without setting the
primary too close to the secondary (you don't want arc-over).
You can check this all out in JavaTC to insure you have enough
coupling while still leaving at least an inch between the inner
turn of secondary and the primary coil.  Coupling should be about
k = 0.2 probably.  You can always raise the secondary if you get
flash-over or racing sparks.  Your main toroid should probably be
the size of Gary Lau's toroid or similar.  One of the reasons for
using a large coil for high power is to handle the coupling.
A small coil run at high power will necessarily need looser
coupling as a design compromise.  The secondary winding
should be well coated with polyurethane or envirotex or whatever
coating you use, to prevent coil breakdown at high powers.

John