RE: [TCML] coil operating in shopping mall

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:05:14 -0500
From: electrical@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] coil operating in shopping mall

Hey Friends,

SNIP

We also have to deal with the ozone smell.

We want a relaxed event, not a spectacle. Perhaps your idea of using
video will be the best option. I can probably bring my 26" flat screen
TV for this event.

I will try to gather more data. I believe that once the insurers know
what a tesla coil is the cost will be prohibitive, and maybe it will be
for the best.

You have been to a makers faire before and have seen tesla coils
operated in public before. You probably have a better understanding of
what to expect. People like me, the tenants, the mall owners and the
insurers are probably going to be a little leary of the unknown.

I will look into this some more and let you know what I decide as soon
as possible.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Grounding should be fine if you follow the advice given by others with more experience.

I wouldn't worry about the ozone smell at all unless you are going to run for extended periods of time.  It should help cover up the offal stench of nasty coffee from Starsucks or whoever pushes the stinky bile in the mall around your display.  Maker Faire has such an eclectic group of things that I doubt anyone will know it comes form the coil anyway.

Insurance is almost like a Pandora's Box...  Like others have said, may be wise to just skip it.