Re: Sync vs. async - was Re: [TCML] 3 phase sync.

Could some one point me towards a download for the paper you all seem to be referencing?   I have been unable to locate a download. Unless that's how its supposed to be?  Is this a legit book and not just a paper?

-jay

----- Reply message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Sync vs. async - was Re: [TCML] 3 phase sync.
Date: Wed, Feb 8, 2012 9:34 am

On 2/7/12 9:22 PM, bturner@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hmmmm. More tinkering.
>
> 200KHz = 0.000005 sec per cycle. 0.32mSec / .005 = 64 cycles of
> oscillation (burst duration). Question then is how FAST the secondary
> oscillations peak (ring up). Loosely coupled takes more cycles?? The Corum
> Brothers pointed out that the gap dwell time also must factor in the
> coupling factor - indeed, tightly coupled systems peak better with very
> short dwell times. Bang it FAST (and) HARD! So, by having short dwell,
> tight coupling AND a high BPS, you get maximum ENERGY transfer (not
> necessarily longer sparks.)
>
> It's possible then that my gap breaks just a bit after ring-up decay in
> the secondary.
>
> The Corum paper points out several stages - first is to find critical
> coupling. THEN determine the number of primary oscillations necessary to
> bring the secondary to it's peak resonance rise. (Impulse equations) THEN
> adjust gap dwell time to allow for ONLY that time of primary burst rate.
> BPS rate then based on the limits of the input power source. (Hence either
> a HUGE transformer, or smaller Cp to reduce saturation possibility.)
>
> Also, if the secondary's energy is dumped at maximum oscillation, not a
> whole lot left to collapse back into the primary. Which means the coupling
> then can be REALLY tight... Either via discharge or impedance-matched
> free-resonant 'extra' coil... I kinda like the heavy discharges myself.
> :-)
>
> Highest POWER means very tight coupling. Highest VOLTAGE means very loose
> coupling, or tight coupling with an extra coil.
>
> Aren't Tesla coils fun???

There's a potential interaction with resonant frequency here..

You want the first rise to be fast, so that you can get the spark started, but then, you want a long duration, so that current can be flowing into the spark with enough voltage on the top load to support the growing streamer length (so that the voltage at the *end* of the streamer is high enough to keep it above breakdown)

So that pushes for a coupling where the "time" from start to first notch is long, but the resonant frequency is high.. I think.. not sure.