Re: [TCML] more on paralleling

On 12/9/12 3:09 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I also used MOT cores.  One concern I have is in wrapping the wire
around the sharp corners of the core, especially should the wires head
up and cause the insulation to become soft.   This could, I believe,
lead to a failure in the insulation, resulting in a blown fuse and the
requirement of a rewind of the cores.

An ideal solution for this would be to use the kind of "paper" that is
used when originally winding a MOT (or other transformer).   I do not
know what the name of this kind of "paper" is, but it is very tough,
thick, and highly tear resistant.

Kraft paper? (like the heavy brown stuff used for wrapping packages.)
There's also various synthetic materials that have been used. For instance, you can get fiberglass tape. In fact, the fiberglass reinforced packing tape might be usable (depending on how hot the core gets).

You could probably use the moderately thick teflon tape used for pipe threads (the pink stuff, not the real thin white stuff).

Jon