Re: [TCML] Polypropylene?

On 12/3/12 4:18 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey guys,

Quick question for yea all,
Aside from the obvious quality control aspect, w hat is the fundamental difference in the polypropylene used as dielectric and the stuff marked as "cello" polypropylene found in gift wrapping ?

pinholes?
thickness controls?
contaminants?

But realistically, it's probably not much different. As you note, one has guaranteed properties, the other doesn't. For all you know, the PP film used for wrapping presents is the reject from the capacitor film plant.

If you were metalizing electrodes onto the PP film, then other things become important (surface finish, cleanliness, gas absorption, etc.

I can't seem to find a direct answer online.

Right now I am leaning towards the difference being purely marketing, polypropylene replaced cellophane for many of these markets, but people still know it as cellophane, or cello, hence why I usually see it in quotes and associated with the polypropylene .

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."