Re: [TCML] new coil vids; just built cage of death

Hello all,

at Phil T.

    I thought maybe that was the case (the detuning of pri).  I kept raising the topload to minimize the strikerail hits and I did notice the sparks got thinner as I detuned.  I am already in the process of building a top with a major diameter of 60 inches and a minor dia of 8.5 in.  I knew I would have to go that route as the current one isn't wide enough as you can see in the vids.

As far as your questions;  My spark gap now is syncronous.  When I first milled the flats I didn't take enough off the rotor and it wouldn't synch but I fixed that two weeks ago.  You can hear the difference in the output.  I am currently running at 480 bps but I am building a 240 bps gap and phase controller to replace it.  I have measured line current at 36  amps at 240 volts so right around 8,000 watts of input power.  I have ran it up to about 10k watts but my ballast ( the old one) didn't like that very much.

I am also working on building another 45 nf cap bank to add to the coil.  That will help with spark output.
I have some more video from last night of the cage and the coil throwing a spark from a breakout point and out the other side of the top.  I will post those to youtube this evening.

keep them sparks flying.
Jason Kerlin