Re: [TCML] Coil Conversion Project.

I used a three phase VFD to run a single phase motor on a rotary spark gap, with no problems. You just have to turn off phase monitoring.

________________________________
 From: David Speck <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2012 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Coil Conversion Project.

Jim,

All of the VFDs that I have worked with have three phase outputs. Unless you are driving a three phase transformer, I do not expect that one would work well, if at all.  I have had industrial synchronous motor drivers (which are a sort of sophisticated VFD) fail catastrophically when one of the three output phase leads became disconnected from the motor.

In any event, VFDs are packed with sensitive internal electronics, intended for driving relatively quiet (electrically speaking) three phase motors.  TCs are electrically very noisy devices, with large spikes coming back into the line through the power transformers.  I would not expect an ordinary VFD to last long in TC duty, even if you can get it to work.

Better be sure you can afford to pay full retail for the loaner VFD if you happen to let all the magic smoke out of it.

Most of the musical coils that I've encountered are of the solid state drive versions.  You could use your current secondary, and probably your toroid, but the SSTCs I've seen usually have smaller, more closely coupled primaries than typical disruptive TCs.  Many have only a single turn primary.

If you really want musical output, heading in this direction is probably going to be the easiest path to what you want. Easternvoltageresearch.com is one seller which offers proven kits of SSTC driver boards in various configurations.  (no connection to seller)

Dave