Re: [TCML] 10 amp ballast

Sigurthur,

A reasonable approximation for the power handling capabilities of common laminated silicon steel cores is obtained from the following formulas:

Core cross section area (sq in) = 0.16*(SQRT(VA))

or

VA Rating = ((Core Cross section area (sq in))/0.16)2

I believe these formulae apply at 60 Hz. If you are on 50 Hz, the you would have to derate by at least 1/6.

I have a .PDF spreadsheet with a number of typical values precalculated that I can send you if you want.

Lemmee know.

Dave
How do I go about estimating the current limiting capacity of my MOT?