From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Scott Bogard
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2012 11:13 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] 10 amp ballast

Greetings all,
      Wondering if anyone has any "instructions" of sorts for a good 10 amp
240V ballast that will last long runs.  I know 10 amp seems kind of small
for a power supply needing ballasting, but my idea is to stack four of them
in parallel to A. dissipate heat better, and B. to allow for some variable
power in the stead of a variac...  I was thinking the welding rod approach,
maybe a 1.5 inch PVC pipe, 2 feet long wrapped with x turns of 14 AWG...
Just not sure ballpark how many turns to use, of how much heat that will
generate, hence what kind of cooling I will need for say 10 minute runs.
Input is appreciated!

Scott Bogard.