Re: [TCML] IGBT variac dimmer?

On 9/16/11 5:01 PM, Ed Phillips wrote:
Problem with the idea is the power dissipation in the transistors when
they're not saturated. At less than maximum power instant smoke! I've
used the series full wave rectifier and shunt transistor for low power
voltage regulator functions such as feeding variable voltage into a
small filament transformer and it works OK.

I was thinking that it would be more like a PWM series switch, so the IGBT is on or off, but never "partly on"