Re: [TCML] Found a nice mica cap and want to test it

Gotta love the Black Hole.  I remember it from way back when I worked there  lol.  I cannot say a thing about the cheapo LCR meter you are referring to, but it sure seems reasonable that you got the reading you did.  The cap might have a ten percent tolerance as many do.  I might suggest you measure a number of caps of known value(perhaps a few times each to see repeatablity), then place them in series, then in parallel and see how the math works out.
Mike

From: Nick Andrews <nicothefabulous@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 1:46 PM
Subject: [TCML] Found a nice mica cap and want to test it

So I stopped at The Black Hole in Los Alamos yesterday on the way out of town for the first time.  A treasure trove for junk, I mean electronics, people.  I found a few radiation items and a nice Sangamo mica cap, rated 008uF, 12kV, max 37A @ 1000kcps.  $50 for the cap, a large piece of scintillation plastic and a scintillation probe is pretty cheap!  Are the little cheapo LCR meters from ebay really good enough to give an accurate capacitance test for these types of caps?  Mine shows 0085uF vs nameplate 008.  Pretty close.

Nick A

No signature per pc[sic]...