Re: [TCML] Ammeter on three phase supply

PLEASE don't dont do that or you could have a fire ball on your hands! Just slide the current transformers over the 3 cables and hook up the 6 leads to a 3 phase amp/amphour meter. I suspect one could connect 3 separate identical amp meters to the load and average the readings. Be shure to get the corect phasings and ground things well ,one wouldn't wan't those prescious meters trying to go backwards. If you do have phase issues just turn the offending current transformer over. Just my 2 cents worth,hope it helps... Keep It On The Sunny Side... Binny... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Tuck" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:20 AM
Subject: [TCML] Ammeter on three phase supply

All,

I have acquired a three-phase 250v alternator that has had its three phase
output split to provide three single phase outlets of 240v each.

If I put the three live wires through a current transformer, would it give a reading of the total current the alternator is giving out? In other words if
each phase has a [say] 10 amp load, will the ammeter read the total
alternator output of 30 amps, or would I need three separate CT's and three
ammeters?  (I suspect the latter unfortunately)

Regards

Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com