Re: [TCML] further help with dual mot

Hi James,
Firstly if you are only using two MOTs you don't need a ballast at all for maximum power, they draw just enough to not flip breakers for short runs. Secondly the standard ballast for two MOTs is one MOT, with the secondary shorted. You basically use the primary as a resistor, that way the inductance limits your current, no matter how many MOTs you have down wind, to that of a single MOT or around one kilowatt. Lastly, Yes, you can use a resistor, but good luck finding one that will handle the heat dissipation (remember power = current squared times resistance.) You are going to want at least a thousand watts, any less and there is no point at all in using MOTs. As for 8 ohms, lets see. 1000 = I^2*8, so 1000/8=I^2, so 125=I^2, so I=11Amps, so yes, you can use an 8 Ohm resistor. You might need to make a salt water resistor, that is the only economical resistor I can think of for that heat dissipation, and I'm not sure you can tritate it for an exact value like 8 ohms. In the end I'd use an inductive ballast, or no ballast, and just let the coil draw what it wants, smoothest operation that way, and the only way you can expect to get really big sparks out of 2 MOTs...