[TCML] Question about vacuum tube Tesla coils

Hi everybody,

I've got a question about vacuum tube driven Tesla coils.  Every one of
these I've seen produce distinctive-looking sparks - the link below to Roger
Smith's TC is a great example:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29248051@N02/6104333777/in/photostream

What is it about using a vacuum tube to drive a Tesla coil that creates
these sparks?I am guessing it has something to do with thermionic emission
speeding up the electrons as they leap across the tube.  Please correct me
if this is wrong.
I'm curious because I haven't seen any other type of Tesla coil produce
these kinds of sparks, so it stands to reason that there is something about
using vacuum tubes which creates this.

Thanks,

Ryan