Re: [TCML] constructing a metal suit "ideas"

On 9/1/11 11:38 AM, James Hutton wrote:

wow. I have posted A LOT of questions lately... i guess thats what happens when you finish your summer job a week before school and have nothing to do all day...
I am wanting to enter a tesla coil into a science fair. (basef) After thinking for a while, I think I have come up with a good "problem" (or excuse for using a tesla coil in a science fair :P)"Is it possible to create a lightning-proof suit"... that way, I get the excuse of making an impressive coil and using lightning simulation to test my suit.
I've been doing a bunch of research on metal suits, (and asked about metal paint on a morph suit... I guess not...).I have seen lots of clunky big looking things and I dont really like the look of those.I came across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDt7loyEfUThat is exactly what I would want. Something that fits closely to the body and is smooth looking.I'm assuming they are using chain-mail in the video... but I have looked everywhere, and I cannot find full body suits. Not even all the parts to put one together (i.e. gloves, shoes etc..)Most likely those are custom-made and expensive...

Google, etc., for RF protective suits for antenna workers, and HV protective suits for hot-line workers. "Conductive suit" might be worth searching for.

You'll probably need to do some fooling around to find exactly what the things are called in industry. Generically, they are "personal/personnel protective equipmenet" (PPE)..

Since it's for a project, you might also look at things like conductive fabric, metallic fabric, metallic thread fabric, metal knit, etc.

Nothing says that the material has to be entirely metal, just conductive enough to be safe. (which you'll need to research)...

You can do a lot of testing without actually making a full suit, just taking suitable swatches and making something like a "conductive shirt sleeve" around an appropriate fake arm which is instrumented.