Re: [TCML] constructing a metal suit "ideas"

On 9/1/2011 11:38 AM, James Hutton wrote:
wow. I have posted A LOT of questions lately... i guess thats what happens when you finish your summer job a week before school and have nothing to do all day...
I am wanting to enter a tesla coil into a science fair. (basef) After thinking for a while, I think I have come up with a good "problem" (or excuse for using a tesla coil in a science fair :P)"Is it possible to create a lightning-proof suit"... that way, I get the excuse of making an impressive coil and using lightning simulation to test my suit.
I've been doing a bunch of research on metal suits, (and asked about metal paint on a morph suit... I guess not...).I have seen lots of clunky big looking things and I dont really like the look of those.I came across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aDt7loyEfUThat is exactly what I would want. Something that fits closely to the body and is smooth looking.I'm assuming they are using chain-mail in the video... but I have looked everywhere, and I cannot find full body suits. Not even all the parts to put one together (i.e. gloves, shoes etc..)Most likely those are custom-made and expensive...
So i guess I'm just looking for the cheapest, but most reliable way to make a full body suit. Some other things that might work is using screen door mesh. but I dont know if that will give me enough protection. (maybe with more layers?)or maybe even simple clothes wrapped nicely with aluminum tape.
Since this is a science fair, I want the suit to look professional aswell.
Does anyone have any tips, other ideas, or input?thanks!
James,

Being some one that has built and used this type of suit before there is really only ONE safe way to build the suit and that is with chain mail. Yes chain mail is not cheap, but if you try and use something cheap like screen door screen or aluminum tape you are going to be in for a world of hurt when you go to use the suit. Trust me I have tried it and it doesn't work!

Cheap and safe don't even belong in the same sentence. If you want to build a suit that will work and keep you safe expect to spend at least $500+ this is NOT something you want to go cheap on because your life is at stake if it fails! It's not a coincidence that every one out there that has a suit makes it out of chain mail and/or solid metal panels (like mid evil armor).

I'm not trying to be a kill joy here but this is simply not something to take lightly.

Regards,
Eric Goodchild