Re: [TCML] Gate drive transformer help

Hi Mike,
     What I am seeing on the scope is the wave form is hardly square, it
starts and bumps up high, then comes down; at higher frequencies this is
where it ends, but at lower frequencies it then cuts out, then comes back
up at about 3/4 height and ramps down, breaking a single pulse into two.  I
have a lot of off axis inductance, the thing was gator clipped together,
and subtracting 3 out of the 17 turns made no difference...  When I turn
down the duty cycle, the two bumps merge, and form one distorted but stable
bump, I can run really low frequencies at less than 10 percent duty
cycle...  I need a gate drive transformer because I am going to be running
this thing off of 300V DC once all is said and done (always though using a
step down transformer to drive a step up transformer was ludicrous...)  I'm
not using a resistor from the driver output to the transformer, and my dc
blocking cap is .68uf I believe...  Not even sure if it is necessary for
proper operation, tried doubling this and halving it, no appreciable
difference.  Thanks for your input guys!  Oh and my turns ratio for the
xformer is 1:1:1...

Scott Bogard.