Re: [TCML] Gate drive transformer help

Hi, Scott,

If you can, direct-couple the driver into the gate with MINIMAL inductance. You will avoid a multitude of problems. With a flyback circuit, you shouldn't have to isolate anything.

---Carl

Greetings all.
Built my gate drive transformer for my flyback driver, oddly enough when scoping it it works great at higher frequencies (30+kHz) but distorts below that, except at low duty cycles. So my questions is do I need a different core material, possibly a larger core, fewer turns? I have one larger core, and also several smaller ones, the larger core is already wound but seems to only work at much higher frequencies in that configuration. Also tried doubling and halving the dc blocking cap, didn't change much... Any advice would be greatly welcomed. Also the waveforms are a bit distorted even when they are stable, up until very high frequencies (100kHz ish) I still think I could use them this way but seems to me changing parameters should fix that as well, at least my my intended operating range of 10-100 kHz... Thanks.

Scott Bogard.