Re: [TCML] Saturable reactors for TC Current limiting?

Hi---

An arc welder with 120V input works well. Just short the welding leads and you can adjust the current with the welding current knob. This will go in series with the line input to the MOTs. These welders can be bought for less than $100.00.

---Carl

Hi,

last year I did some experiments on this topic. I also noticed at this time, that nearly no information is available about saturable reactors on the TCML. In my experiments I replaced the normal air gapped ballast inductor of my PT powered medium coil with 200bps SRSG by a big saturable inductor. The results were very interesting but I stopped to investigate this further. Maybe sometime in future I will continue experiments. I made 2 videos, the first one shows the setup I used. The winding on the central leg of the reactor is the "work" winding and the 2 outer legs, connected in series, is the control winding. Heres the setup video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNglLIUpRE

And here it is running:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZn4bZOKS4U

Best Regards,
Stefan

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Speck" <Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:28 PM
Subject: [TCML] Saturable reactors for TC Current limiting?

Anyone have any experience using a saturable reactor to limit TC current draw on potential or MOT transformer stacks in disruptive TC applications?

I thought I was tole once by a "prominent" authority in the TC business that they didn't work well.

I know I have a 5 kW slide choke "somewhere". Just can't lay my hands on it at the moment.

Dave