Re: [TCML] pwm with gate drive transformer

If you want to use a GDT at duty cycles other than %50 you have to take some
precautions.  First you'll need a DC blocking capacitor on the primary to
prevent DC current from saturating it.  Second, the secondary voltage
waveform will inherently have have no DC offset, and therefore the waveform
will "shift" up and down depending on duty cycle.  For example, for a 1:1
GDT driven with 20V peak to peak on the primary, at 50% duty cycle the
secondary will give the same thing out (Vmax=10V, Vmin=-10V).  However, if
you drive that at D=25%, you'll get Vmax=15V and Vmin=-5.  As D approaches
0%, Vmax will approach 20V and Vmin will approach 0V.  Conversely, the
opposite happens at D>50%.  As D approaches 0%, Vmax approaches 0V and Vmin
approaches -20V.

So there are limitations to the duty cycle range you can use.  The lower
range will depend on the maximum gate voltage the transistor can withstand.
The max limit will be determined by the minimum Vgs needed to keep the
transistor operating in its linear region (for FETs) or saturated region
(bipolar devices).

-Mike