Re: [TCML] Vacuum Pump Question

I pulled apart several Food Savers and the pumps are all similar. They're all small piston pumps driven by a 12 VDC motor. There is a vacuum switch connected via hose to them. They also have outlet barbs, so I may try staging them. I'm thinking of re greasing the pistons with the same silicone grease I use for scuba regulators. That might seal them better.

I only need to maintain 10-50 Torr for lasing, but if they could get down lower, that is icing on the cake for other experiments. I'll be driving 1' of tube with either a 9/30 or 12/30 so I may be able to go with less vacuum.

At $10 bucks for two identical units at Goodwill, it's worth the experiment.

David Weiss

I think I'd opt for the a/c compressor, but you do want to think about how to recirculate the oil. I looked at the Food Saver and it says that is designed NOT to crush the food. It sounds to me like it intentionally limits the vacuum and would not likely get down to the approx. 0.1 Torr that you desire.
Mike